Welcome! :)

My name is Meghan Prokesch and I am a 21 year old senior at SUNY Cortland studying to become an elementary school teacher!

Friday, October 7, 2011

First Day of Observations!

Monday was my first day of observations in a first grade classroom! I was really nervous before I arrived but my host teacher and the school staff made me feel welcomed as soon as I walked in the door. My host teacher was really nice and the students were excited that I was helping out in their classroom. I enjoyed observing the class and learning from my host teacher. I helped out with checking papers and answering any questions the students had during their math and writing lessons. I also went with the class to their special area classes, which was art on Monday and computers and library on Wednesday. One example of technology my host teacher used while I was there was a website called starfall.com. This is an interactive website for young children which has different activities covering the topics of letter recognition, reading, and math skills. After walking around and helping the students explore StarFall, I noticed that the website is a great way to get students engaged and excited to learn. As a future educator, I would definitely use StarFall in my classroom and it would be great to post on my classroom blog so students could use it at home. I had a great time observing the first grade class and I am excited to go back next week! :)

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a good time! I think that it was a great idea for you to follow the students to their special area classes! It increases interactions with them and also is a great way to meet more staff members! I hope you enjoy your next classroom experience as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited and nervous my first day too. I was placed in a second grade classroom. I'm just happy I got placed in a grade where the children are not that tall yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was freaking out on my first day too! Sadly though some of my students are as tall as my head :(
    I just went to Music class today for the special class! You are so lucky that you got to go to Art! Hopefully you did not get any paint or nothing on your clothes :)

    ReplyDelete